Sunday, 5 September 2010

A Birthday


Fruit salad, pastries and presents; the delight of unexpected flowers; the ebb and flow of elation that birthdays inevitably bring.

A mean stranger in a car park; a short shower of tears; lunch at the Corn Mill with family; sharing the joy of my boy.

A modest win on a scratchcard; immodest delight at my win; the rich, gooey happiness of sticky toffee pudding; a surprise in a big silver box.

A walk between stones so permeated with prayer that their pores still seep with peace; remembering the brilliance of my brothers; connecting from far, far away.

The quiet relief of a sleeping baby; a glass of something with fizz; an excellent choice of movie; an hour or two with my man.

The realisation that I'm thirty; a quick catch in my heart at the thought; the cool relief of being exactly where I wanted; the burning certainty that there's so much more to come...

7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday - sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Helen. It sounds like a full day, brimming with life. Wishing you many more in the year to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it sounds very good. Happy happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Helen. Beautiful words as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, and thanks for sharing! Hope mine next week is as full of the people I love as yours was x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday. Sounds like a special day recognising the things you cherish in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday. A lovely post, as always!

    ReplyDelete