Thursday, 23 September 2010

Lessons


This weekend I retreated to the comfortable safety of my childhood home to relax in an an environment of diminished responsibility and to learn three important lessons from my wise and wonderful mother:

1. Sometimes it's ok to look after myself too.

2. Recognition is so important to me that simply being told that I'm a good mummy can make me strive to be a better one.

3. The mysterious and long coveted art of knitting cannot be perfected in one afternoon, but can be mastered one stitch at a time.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if you thought with amazement, when you were with your mother,that she loved you with the same crazy intensity as you love your son. I can remember that moment and it was very humbling.

    It is so important to look after yourself. It is a lesson that I learned late by watching friends with children the same age. I observed that if they cared for themselves it added to rather than diminished their enjoyment of their babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful to visit your Mum and have her take care of you for a bit? I hope you love knitting -- it will give you many hours of pleasure!

    ReplyDelete