Thursday, 2 September 2010

Milestones


"Oh wow," says James, "A tooth!"

"Really?" I say wearily, the sound echoing around the cavern of my skull. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, definitely!" he says with enough enthusiasm for us both, "He's got a tooth! His first tooth!"

A tear slips down my cheek and seasons the corn that I'm boiling on the hob.

I wipe it away, dry my hands and walk over to validate the existence of the tooth. It's a tiny white pinnacle, hiding in the wetness beneath his tongue.

"Yes," I say quietly. "I can't believe he's got a tooth."

"This is amazing," James babbles happily, "I don't know why you're not more excited."

I'm too exhausted to be excited and too overwhelmed to be overjoyed.

Because this morning my baby learnt how to roll and I've spent the day chasing him across the living room floor and wondering when he will crawl.

I know that progress is important and moments like this are momentous, but today the tides of change are flowing faster than my tired brain can process and whilst one milestone is something I can just about cope with, two is simply too much.

3 comments:

  1. I well remember the first tooth thing - and the worry about the responsibility of looking after it. You will manage, and it will be fine, but exhaustion does make everything terribly overwhelming sometimes. Hugs to you.

    Oh, and you'll likely get a bit of warning before he crawls - a few days/weeks of unsteady wobbling on hands and knees which is both adorable and alarming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry - the tooth will still be there tomorrow and the next day. The important thing to discuss with James is the Tooth Fairy policy for your family - in my experience this can involve complicated negotiations and it is never too early to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiredness makes everything more difficult to deal with, doesn't it? Poor you. As Alice says, the tooth will be there on other days when you can appreciate the wonder of it more fully!

    ReplyDelete