Thursday, 30 September 2010

Today


I cuddle your tiny body today because one day you'll be broad and strong;

I play with you today because one day you'll have playmates of your own;

I kiss your cheek today because one day you'll duck and cringe at public displays of affection;

I carry you on my hip today because one day your chubby legs will be lean and strong and carry you away;

I watch you sleep today because one day your waking and sleeping will be none of my concern and other arms will encircle you as you rest;

I photograph us together today because one day you'll only remember me as old;

I save our memories today because one day I'll be a memory too;

I tell you I love you today because my soul cannot contain my love for you and it will spill from my lips for as long as I shall live.

7 comments:

  1. You have me filling up again Helen. Such lovely words, and as a mother of boys aged 13 and 15 I can confirm they are all too true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a little sniffle as I read your moving words. My own little man is napping upstairs and you perfectly express the feelinfs of mothering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you made me cry! What a lovely post - I have my smaller one home sick this afternoon and I shall have to go and snuggle her now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My baby is ten today - you're right - it passes in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have made me cry. How beautifully written this is. Mine are lolloping on the settee. I'm off to scoop them up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time I've ever visited you. I was just "out strolling" and now my heart is broken. My boys are 16 and 14 and I so remember these moments. Enjoy and cherish them because the next thing you know they will be gone. Off to get tissue...sniff, sniff...and see if I can't con a hug and kiss out of my two knuckleheads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so lovely!!! I just loved those words. xoRobin

    ReplyDelete