Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Cold!


It's cold around here. Ear-aching, chin-chapping, head-splitting cold. The land is held captive in the grip of a fierce frost and it's devastating, beautiful and awesome, like any force of nature.

This morning, when the world woke up it found itself transformed into a fairytale too wondrous to have ever been told.

Ice crystals hung from every surface in sight and time seemed to be frozen in a wonderland of white.

Grass blades stood in stillness, transfixed by their own brilliance, lonely pine trees found themselves transformed into tinsel-laden Christmas trees and ruby apples hung like forgotten baubles in a world where everything else was white.

As I stepped out into my garden the cold slapped my cheek and the grass groaned beneath my feet. I looked beyond the crystalline branches and dropping strands of frozen cobweb to the Christmas-card vista beyond and I noticed that the air was sparkling with glitter.

It glinted in the morning sunshine like fairy-dust.

And I don't know whether it was the cold or the astonishing beauty of the day but it literally took my breath away.

1 comment:

  1. It is quite stunning isn't it? I have never seen anything like it. Beautiful words to go with a beautiful world. Thsnk you.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete