Wednesday, 22 December 2010

How Silently


After dinner, we stoked up the fire and crunched our way through the frozen night to a church that was illuminated from within like a snow-topped Chinese lantern.

We pushed open the heavy door and stepped into a space that smelt of candles and wood polish and glimmered in the quiet light of dozens of flickering candles; and all of a sudden it was Christmas. 

Friendly faces greeted us with whispered greetings and wide smiles as we took our seats at the back and then the choir began to sing and candle after candle flickered to life in the darkened church, and the miracle of Christmas was real.

I sat at the back of the church with  my little family listening to the exquisite poetry of Isiah and the beautiful harmony of the carols and I felt wonder unfurl in my chest. I held my candle in one hand and cuddled my baby in the other and blinked back tears as we sang the wonderful words of 'O Little Town of Bethlehem.'

Because right there in the quiet of the church with the cold air tingling on my skin, I realised that this was everything that I could possibly want for Christmas.

"How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is given."

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful words as always Helen. Merry Christmas to you and your little family x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found your quiet corner, and how peaceful it looks. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you many happy memories from your very first family Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful Helen - we cherish these moments. A very happy Christmas to the three of you.
    Bobby x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written, as ever. Glad you found some joy amongst the chaos. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete