Saturday, 30 April 2011

Royal Wedding


Even though I thrilled at the sight of the bride's gorgeously graceful smile, even though I gawped at the magical majesty of a tree-lined Westminster Abbey, even though I gaped at the get-up of the guests, marveled at the precision of the parades, revelled in the patriotic fervour that overtook the nation, squealed when I caught my first glimpse of the bride's beautiful gown, revelled in the pomp and circumstance of the occasion, smiled at the sight of the queen, and savoured every last minute of the pageantry, it was the simple sincerity of their wedding vows and the natural expression of their love for one another that was the thing that moved me to tears.

We watched every last minute of the coverage and celebrated with a patriotic pavlova, a jug of Pimms and a healthy dose of national pride.

And once it was all over, and the happy couple had retreated from the public gaze to celebrate their love in private, I wished that I'd recorded the ceremony so that every time my faith in humanity was shaken, I could return to that moment in the Abbey, when the young prince and his beautiful bride looked into one another's eyes and exchanged their vows with clarity, dignity, sincerity and love.

Because nothing could be more beautiful, hopeful or faith-restoring than this.

1 comment:

  1. A really beautiful post. It gave me a huge lump in my throat. I agree, it was a special part of the day. I found my own vows and ceremony the most amazing moment of my wedding day too. x

    (And a very lovely pavlova and sweet picture of John too!) x

    ReplyDelete