Sunday, 3 July 2011

The Best Things In Life...


On an overcast afternoon, during a severe bout of toy fatigue, I almost climbed into the car and drove to town to buy the boy something new.

But when the rain clouds thinned and the sun broke through the clouds, I gathered up treasures from the floor of my garden instead, and presented them to him in a plant pot.

I set them on our little garden table, beside a big bowl of water and a few twigs and then I sat back on the grass and basked in the blissful sound of silence.

I watched him choose apples and pebbles with serious deliberation and then plop them into the water; I saw him stir the stew with intense concentration and I sat quietly as he scooped dirt up with his spoon and transferred it from one pot to the next with utter absorption.

And as I watched him work, and marvelled at the intensity of his play, I knew that no matter how many toy's I'd bought him or how much money I'd spent, none of them would have held his concentration so completely as this.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't nature wonderful, I love a bit of outdoorsy, natural play! Mud pies next?? hehe!!

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are magical - my kind of play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Those rosy cheeks and the fierce concentration. He is adorable!

    What could be nicer than stone and leaf soup stirred with a twig?

    ReplyDelete