Thursday, 14 July 2011

Special


There was a time, before John was born, when I could have walked through this garden as nothing but an anonymous nobody. Strangers would have seen me without really noticing me at all and passed me with nothing but a absent-minded glance or a semi-courteous nod, and then I'd have gone on my way, forgotten.

But now that I have a little boy to chase, I'm suddenly something special.

The boy who has been collecting smiles since the day he was born is still working his wonder on the world, and people are drawn towards us as we wind our way through the flowers.

Old ladies stop to pucker up their wrinkled faces and smile as though his mere presence brings them untold joy, strangers who were walking quite purposefully stop to watch him climb stairways and explore the texture of a box hedge, and people who were lost in thought or busy in conversation stop me to comment on his busyness, his enthusiasm for life, his mischievous smile and his content yet inquisitive spirit.

Of course there will come a time when John's simply another boisterous boy or another mournful teenager and he will be nothing but an anonymous nobody just as I once was.

But just for now, he's special.

And as I walk with him, smiling at the people we meet, flushing with pride at their kind comments and glowing with appreciation for this small person by my side, I can't help but feel that I'm special too, simply because I'm with him.

2 comments:

  1. I think small children bring out the best in strangers.

    I'm coming to the conclusion that teenagers do the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then one day after going through the "non special" phase you find that, as you accompany your young man, you are "special" again; as he is suddenly being looked at by seemingly every passing young lady!! LOL

    ReplyDelete