Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Choo Choo!


On the last Bank Holiday of Christmas, after too many nights in other people's beds, we stopped at the National Railway Museum before tackling the long journey home.

We wandered wearily through the large glass doors hoping for an inexpensive place to break our journey and were greeted with a little boy's wonderland.

Everywhere we looked there were engines. Enormous ones; tiny ones; ones you could climb on; ones you could sit in; ones in books; ones on screens; ones in play-parks; ones on rails.

I listened to my boy say 'Choo Choo' two thousand times as he ran from train to train in an ecstasy of excitement and I watched his eyes grow wide with wonder as he tilted his head back to survey the size of the wheels.

And even though the trains didn't really  interest me in the slightest and I really just wanted to get home, his excitement was contagious and I couldn't help but feel that this little excursion was a wonderful start to this new year of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment