Tuesday, 28 February 2012

An Exercise in Appreciation


The Sunday before Lent, the vicar spoke to us of a "poverty of appreciation." He talked of a nation that was rich in material possessions and poor in joyousness, and he spoke of a God who wishes us to be rich and happy and fulfilled.

As he spoke, I thought guiltily of the bleak February days that I have moaned about incessantly and the richness of life that I dismiss as monotony. And I decided that instead of spending forty days feeling miserable about missing chocolate, I'd spend this Lent noticing the goodness in life.

I would take care to appreciate the extraordinary beauty contained in everyday moments and, inspired by this beautiful site, I too would record three beautiful things every single day.

Most importantly, I'd take the time to give thanks.

Jesus said: "I have come that they might have life and have it to the full." One week into lent, my life feels richer and more blessed because of this simple practice of appreciation. I am one step closer towards the fullness of life that He promised.

(A link to my exercise in appreciation will remain in my sidebar throughout lent.)

2 comments:

  1. What a fab idea. I've just read your Exercise in Appreciation and fell uplifted. Such beautiful writing as always Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you your faith, it must be such an anchor in life. The rhythm of life with a little one can be monotonous but making the effort to appreciate the fullness of life, to notice the wonder time well spent.

    ReplyDelete