Sunday, 2 September 2012

Summer's End




It's been a strange sort of summer, full of tears and heartbreak and laughter and sandy toes and chocolate ice cream.

There have been long days and short weeks, busy home times and quiet family times away by the sea.  

I've laid for long nights looking at the blackness, I've stood and gazed over the vastness of the ocean and I've played 'mummy monster' with my boy more times than I can count.

It's been beautiful and heart-wrenching and perfect and imperfect all at once. But it's been life, and the three of us have lived it together.  

This morning, when I woke, I felt a chill in the air and smelled a faint smell of autumn on the breeze, and I knew that this strange and surreal summer was over.

It's time for James to go back to school. It's time step away from the seashore. It's time to to look life in the eye and return again to reality. It's time to face up to the future.

4 comments:

  1. I've missed you here Helen (and seeing John). Autumn seems a little melancholy this year somehow here - I don't think I am quite ready to face up to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just take it hour by hour, day by day.
    Sending you a hug.
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pack up the memories and take them with you into the autumn. We are fortunate enough to live in a country of changing seasons and appreciate the summer all the more as it turns into autumn. I think that same is true of happiness - if we were happy all the time would we value it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you Helen. Our desire for autumn will arrive with timid steps as summer yields gracefully to autumn. My children went back to school yesterday and today. I understand how you feel.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete