Saturday, 30 March 2013

Aeroplane Party

IMG_3297 IMG_3155 IMG_3231 IMG_3129 IMG_3146 IMG_3232 IMG_3162 IMG_3154 IMG_3180
IMG_3303 IMG_3168 IMG_3188 IMG_3166 IMG_3167 IMG_3191 IMG_3138 IMG_3221 IMG_3230
IMG_3228 IMG_3222 IMG_3183
 
I don't know where he got the idea for the aeroplane party, but I do know that it was entirely his. "I really, really like a aeroplane cake" he'd say, every time we talked of his birthday. "I really, really want a aeroplane party."
 
For months, I waited for him to forget. I offered him tractor cakes and dumper truck cakes, and I hinted at pirate parties and building parties and pretended to forget about the party altogether. But this boy would not forget. He really, really wanted an aeroplane cake. He really, really wanted an aeroplane party.
 
And so the aeroplane party was planned.  
 
The house was strung with paper plane bunting, party passports were made, sky blue jelly was concocted, a giant aeroplane target was painted, party banners were strung, party bag tags were printed and party bag gifts were bought. Balloons were blown, biscuits were iced, a giant aeroplane cake was created. For a week I awoke to the thought of nothing but aeroplanes by day, and when I slept at night paper planes flew about my dreams.
 
And then, on the morning of the party, we awoke to thick snow. It lay a foot deep on the branches and glistened on the untouched road. It smothered the cars and buried the daffodils and for a few miserable hours I thought all the effort was for nothing.
 
IMG_3141
 
But despite my fears, they came. Slipping down the lanes, with shovels in their cars, sliding carefully up the drive and stamping their boots at the door. Little girls in welly boots and party dresses, and little boys in snow boots and hats. Friends with snowflakes in their hair and relief in their shivery smiles.

And as the house filled with friends, presents were ripped open, food was consumed and laughter tickled the aeroplanes hanging from the ceiling, I was so very glad I made the effort.

Because friends who come out in thick snow to be with me and my boy on his birthday deserve an aeroplane party. They deserve little aeroplane biscuits and party passports and all the aeroplane cake they can eat.

And the boy who wanted the aeroplane party so very badly for so much time? Well, he deserves it all and so much more besides. And his shy little smiles made every minute spent folding paper planes and icing aeroplane biscuits far more than worthwhile.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! An absolutely amazing party! If I ever have a family, you've really set the standard for children's parties. Everything looks so beautifully created with so much love, care and attention. John and his friends were so lucky to have such a fantastic experience; I hope you're feeling rightly proud of your efforts. And the cake - Jane Asher and Mary Berry will be quaking in their boots! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still wowed by this, I've just showed it to Mr P. He was very impressed with the blue sky jelly and asked what flavour it was! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find instant blue jelly so made it using gelatine and blue food colouring. The flavour was apple and raspberry as I used apple and raspberry flavoured sparkling water to give it some taste. So glad you liked the party. I must admit I did feel a little bit proud of it - especially as the kids had such a good time.x

      Delete
  3. Party perfection - especially tickled by the baggage claim!

    The blue jellies made me smile - I made some once for an 'underwater' party. Stumped by the lack of blue, I doctored some green with copious amounts of food colouring, but it turned the kids poo a most alarming shade. Fun times.

    Happy Birthday John!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday John! May this year be full of exciting new adventures.

    I LOVED reading all about this party - so many wonderful ideas and treats. The bunting! The biscuits! The passports! The baggage claim! Take a bow Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this takes me back!
    I love a good kiddies party - very very well done :)
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope everything is well with you all, Helen, and that you're enjoying the autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like an amazing party! Love your creative ideas and all the little details. And your wee man looks very happy about it too!

    ReplyDelete